Thursday, August 11, 2011

Chance of a lifetime

Hello My name is Brooke Rice.  Many of you have probably read my story if you are visiting this site.  If not I will give you the shortened version.  As you all know four years of infertility is a very long journey.  My husband and I having been trying to conceive for four years.  We have suffered three miscarriages multiple rounds of Clomid, 2IUI, 1 IVF and 1 transfer of two embryos.  The emotional devestation this disease places on you and your family is undescribable.  After all of these treatments we were left with a huge debt because we have no coverage for infertility treatments.  We had reached a point where we no longer could afford to pursue our dreams of having a child.  Everyday I brainstormed of how we could pursue more treatments.  I checked into clinical trials, searched multiple websites and applied to any grant avaliable out there.  Nothing was materializing.  Out of sure desperation I called my OBGYN Dr. Heiberger begging for more rounds of Clomid.  We had conceived once this way.  It was our only hope at this point.  Dr. Heiberger gently and kindly informed me that we could not continue with Clomid.  She suggested that I look into Birdies for Babies.  I went home immediately and tried to fill out the application. I am not the most computer literate person and couldn't figure out how to fill out the application so I emailed Todd with an informal application.  Plus they gave you 5 lines to describe your history.  I laughed how could I begin to describe four years multiple fertility treatments and three miscarriages in 5 lines.  So I started to write.  11 pages later I had my story on paper.  Todd emailed me back with the application the next day advising me he needed a formal application.  I was on vacation the rest of that week so I didn't get his email till Sunday night.  Monday I received another application from Todd stressing he would like to have my essay and my application because the committe was making their decesion tommorow.  Without his email on Monday I would have missed the deadline.  Once again I couldn't figure out the application.  I called my brother desperate for help.  He was able to walk me through the process.  Thanks Ben wouldn't be here without your help.  I love you!

Birdies for babies is a golf outing that choses one couple who has suffered from infertility and can't afford to pursue their dreams of having a child to be the beneficiary of the proceeds from this event.  I didn't have much hope we would be chosen.  I had filled out tons of these types of things in the past. Truth be told I had briefly mentioned it to my husband.  At this point it probably went in one ear and out the other cause he probably thought the same way I did.  Another oppurtunity that won't come true. 

On Aug 2 at 5:58 our lives changed.  Todd Trader called to let me know that we had been chosen be the committee to be the beneficiaries of the 2011 Birdies for Babies outing.  I think no I know I was in shock for two days.  In an instant I went from not being able to be a mother to having a chance again.  My head was swirling.  I couldn't seem to believe that this was really happening to us but it has.  So here the next chapter of our journey begins.  Follow along for all the excitement that follows.  It's gonna be a fun and busy 6 weeks.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations and sending support and best wishes towards your journey ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to extend you a congratulations on being chosen as the beneficiary for the September Birdies for Babies event. It is such a wonderful event and you will be amazed by all who are so willing to help. I, too, am a patient of Dr. Heiberger and I see Angie Beltsos at FCI. Thanks to the Traders, my husband and I just had a special outing in July to help us raise money to offset some of the costs of surrogacy. We are happy to help you out with your event as much as we can. Feel free to check out my blog for any ideas and I am happy to help you in getting pics posts and finding the spellcheck feature. I look forward to following your journey and wish you the best of success.
    www.prayingforbabyobrien.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete