Sunday, October 28, 2012

We have arrived

Sorry for not posting sooner and I apologize in advance for the short post.  I am more busy than ever this first week!  Last Friday October 19th all our dreams came true.  Mckenna and Kailey arrived safe and sound at 2:09 and 2:10. Mckenna was 6lbs 2oz and Kailey was 5lbs 13oz  I had been at the doctor on Wed and no contractions or signs of labor but my feet and legs were so swollen I thought they would pop.  My urine was not showing any protein in it but the doctor drew blood just to see if any of the other factors would show up for preclampsia.  Nothing was sky high a few of the markers were slightly elevated so they wanted me to do a 24 hour urine and come back on Friday for ultrasound and stress test.

When I got to the appointment my morning urine had protein in it.  I have to say I was more than ready to meet my girls I was so uncomfortable and miserable words can't even describe.  I had gained 60 lbs 10 of which was just in the last week of my pregnancy from all the swelling.  Dr. Holden came in and said well you ready to have a birthday today?  She confirmed I still wanted to have a c section since both girls were head down.  No doubt in my mind I wanted the c section.  Dr.  Hubbell was the doctor on call and would be the one doing my section at roughly 1 o'clock.  I have a long history with Dr. Hubbell from miscarriages to him monitoring this pregnancy.  I was so thankful he would be the one bringing our miracles into the world. He is such a patient man and nothing really rattles him.   I was so excited that this day had finally come but I was so scared about the epidural and worried that something still could go wrong at delivery.  I called Travis and my mom and headed over to Lake Forest Women's center.

Normal monitoring and paper work ensued.  I had requested Dr. Dee to be my anesthesiologist he was in a meeting off site but my nurse said she would call him and see if he would be willing to come over and do my section.  He said he would be there after his meeting.  I can't believe how accommodating and wonderful the staff at Lake Forest was.  The head of anesthesia actually would come in and do my case that's amazing.  By this time everyone had arrived.  My mom, dad and niece and Travis's mom.  Travis's sister Darci lives 3 hours away and was at work and was chomping at the bit to be there but she couldn't get out of work but the great aunt that she is she hopped in the car as soon as she got off work and headed down to meet her nieces.

At around 2 o'clock we headed into the operating room.  My mom was able to come in because she works as a scrub tech at the hospital in the maternity ward.  Dr. Dee did my epidural and believe it or not it didn't even hurt my IV in my arm hurt worst than that but what a weird feeling to be numb from the legs down.  After I was all prepped they brought Travis in.  He was right by me the whole time holding my hand and rubbing my head.  I was worried he wouldn't be able to handle it in the OR but he did great.  Dr. Hubbell walked in and before he started working said Oh my God Brooke how are you even walking.   We all laughed.  Everyone in the OR was relaxed and chatting.  It made me feel very much at ease.  At 2:09 I heard the most wonderful sound little Ms. Mckenna graced the world with her first cry.  I couldn't see her right away they did the routine stuff but I heard her and knew she was okay.  1 minute later Kailey came out wailing.  She made her presence known right away.    After everyone was confirmed healthy they brought them over and out them right by my face I kissed there little foreheads and thanked god for the miracles he had given us.  Off to recovery for the girls and Travis while they finished stitching me up.  Everyone in the OR had known our story and prayed for us and the girls.  So it was great that they could see God's work at it's finest.  I joked that it wasn't fair I did all this work and Travis gets to hold the girls first where's the fairness in that!

I finally went to recovery and held and breastfeed my girls as soon as we could.  They were doing great but my blood pressure was very high.  So they were doing everything they could to get it down.  It did finally come down and they moved us to our room room 1211.  Everyone came in to meet the girls but only for a brief moment because my blood pressure was going up again and I was experiencing some swelling at the incision site so they wanted me to rest.  The girls were doing a great job breastfeeding and I was supplementing with formula after every feeding to make sure they didn't lose to much weight.  That night I sent them to the nursery so Travis and I could get some sleep and rest up for the big days ahead I needed my  strength and some sleep I was exhausted.

Saturday morning the pediatrician came to check the girls out.  Both girls were a little jaundice very normal they would monitor that but Kailey had a little heart murmer also very common.  They wanted to watch that and would check it the next day.  On Monday she got an EKG and we were told that it should close by the time she is one but it will require monitoring.

Travis is a great dad!  He did not have much experience with infants so he was a little worried about how he would do.  It came very natural to him.  He jumped right in changing diapers and cuddling and consouling all his girls including mommy.  He went home on Sunday and got the house in order while my family visited.

I am doing amazingly well for having major surgery.  I stopped taking pain meds on Tuesday but the best thing I did for the first few days was to take them every 4 hours so my pain never became crippling and I was able to care for the girls.  Breastfeeding is going great as well.  Both girls latch very well but they do eat every two hours they are hungry little girls.  Mckenna makes sure she gets more than her fair share!  She is a little piggy and much more vocal than her sister.  Kailey is my patient girl.  It's only been a week but their personalities are very distinct.  I love being a mom and Travis keeps telling the girls how much he loves them.

Thank you to my support team during this past week My mom, Darci and Grandma Reuss and of course my loving husband Travis.  I love you all so much and am so thankful to have you all in our lives.


1 comment: