Saturday, October 8, 2011

The Crescendo

It's been  a couple weeks since Birdies for babies.  I needed time to get back to "normal"  The day after the event I did 7 loads of laundry and spent 5 hours just getting things back to functional.  Birdies for babies was definatly my priority.  So everyones dying to know how it went. 

Travis and I went down on Friday to help Melissa and Todd set up.  We stuffed the gift bags with all the wonderful goodies.  We went to dinner to just try and relax before the big day.  At dinner I received a phone call from Melissa that ABC nightly news was going to be at the event and wanted to follow us while we golfed.  I was super excited but fearful of how Travis would react.  Remember he does not like to be in the spot light.  So I broke the news and to my suprise he was okay with it.  Got to bed early because we knew that Saturday was going to be a long busy day.  The beds were so comfy at the Country Inn and Suites.  I slept like a baby.

Alarm went off at 5 am. We needed to be there by 6 to help with final set up.  The weather man had been calling for rain so we were praying it was going to be a dry day.  As we started to drive the rain started to fall.  I looked at Travis and told him he cursed us.  A few weeks before he said its gonna rain on our event.  The rain got heavier as we got closer to the course.  But god was smiling on us because at 6:55 the clouds parted and the sun came out.  It was going to be a glorious day. 

I will never be able to convey to you what it was like to walk into Tamarack after Melissa had performed her magic.  We left the banquet area a blank canvas and when we walked in it had been transormed into a amazing golf outing.  I started to cry it was so beautiful.  Melissa really puts her heart and creativity into putting the prizes and silent auction together.  We met our new friends Katie and Pat last years recepient and my support system.  Katie was great to me she answered any of my questions and helped me get this blog going.   She is also responsible for the TV crew showing up as well. 

At 7 am golfers were starting to arrive.  I checked people in with my Mom and Dad and Travis and Pat handed out wind shirts.  It was amazing to see all the people that came out to support us that we had never even met.  When our friends arrived it made the whole thing come full circle. 

8 o'clock golf started.  Of course we were the last ones out.  We golfed with our friends Corey and John.  They were so much fun.  We haven't laughed that hard in a long time.  We still had to break the news that the news crew was going to be following us to them.  I wanted for the first screwdriver to be finished.  They were fine with it.  They like us at this point were just rolling with the punches. 

About 11 o'clock the news crew showed up.  How akward was that!  They tell you to act normal while you have a camera and a big fuzzy microphone in your face.  I shanked all my shots when they were with us.  Good thing it was a scramble.  They had to leave us because a foursome that wasn't with our outing complained we were holding up play. 

I was able to visit with our friends in between holes.  All you could hear was laughter all around everyone was having such a great time.  Dana was out on patrol selling raffle tickets.  She is a riot.  Another past recepient.  It's funny because we all bonded so quickly but we also seem to have the same type of personalities.  She actually had someone donate $140.00 if she could come back with a cubs hat.  She did it!

When we arrived at the reception the news crew was waiting for an interview and Todd needed to get the reception started.  I was getting really nervous about giving my speech.  I am not great at speaking in front of big groups.  As I looked around I realized all these people our here to support this cause and a peace came over me.  It went off without a hitch.  Travis was by my side the whole time providing the support only he can. 

After it was all over Travis and I realized we hadn't eaten a thing all day.  Adrenaline had left and we were starving.  We stopped by Tommy Nevilles pub to relax with Katie, Pat and Todd.  Travis was exhausted and starving so we headed off to get something to eat.  Full bellies and totally exhausted we went back to hotel and as I closed my eyes that night I was kind of sad it was all over.  Then I remebered theres always next year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment